The new issue of the Islamic State’s online magazine, Dabiq, features a purported interview with Maaz al-Kassasbeh, a Jordanian air force pilot, who was shot down Dec. 24 while taking part in coalition military operations over Syria.
An article entitled, “The Capture of a Crusader Pilot,” describes operational details of the air campaign against the Islamic State, including the names of bases housing coalition aircraft and the nature of his own role within the air campaign. The remarks are attributed to al-Kassasbeh, identified in the article simply as murtadd, or “apostate.”
Though there is no way to independently verify the magazine’s account, the interview is accompanied by a picture of what appears to be an official military ID card issued to al-Kassasbeh.
The interview touches on the scope of American operations against the Islamic State, describing the presence of roughly 200 American personnel stationed at Muwaffaq al-Salti Air Base in Jordan. The magazine also attributes to the pilot details of American forces taking part in operations and socializing with other coalition pilots over dinner; he is also quoted describing a technical malfunction which resulted in the death of an American service member earlier this month.
The pilot’s capture attracted immediate international attention when online supporters of the Islamic State began disseminating images of a bloodied al-Kassasbeh being taken away from his downed jet, surrounded by exultant Islamic State fighters. The Jordanian government has demanded the release of al-Kassasbeh, warning of “grave consequences” if the pilot is harmed by the group.
His family has also appealed for his release, pleading with Islamic State leaders to treat him hospitably and ensure his safe return. “I hope God will put mercy in their hearts and they will release my son,” his father said in comments reportedly given to Saraya News.
The interview in Dabiq concludes grimly, with the pilot’s interlocutor asking him if he has watched previous videos of the Islamic State executing prisoners; a question he answers in the negative. The interviewer says he will make sure the “jailers” provide him with one of the videos.
In response to whether he knows what the Islamic State plans to do with him, al-Kassasbeh is quoted as replying: “Yes…They will kill me.”
Source: Dabiq Magazine
IT’S EVEN WORSE THAN WE THOUGHT.
What we’re seeing right now from Donald Trump is a full-on authoritarian takeover of the U.S. government.
This is not hyperbole.
Court orders are being ignored. MAGA loyalists have been put in charge of the military and federal law enforcement agencies. The Department of Government Efficiency has stripped Congress of its power of the purse. News outlets that challenge Trump have been banished or put under investigation.
Yet far too many are still covering Trump’s assault on democracy like politics as usual, with flattering headlines describing Trump as “unconventional,” “testing the boundaries,” and “aggressively flexing power.”
The Intercept has long covered authoritarian governments, billionaire oligarchs, and backsliding democracies around the world. We understand the challenge we face in Trump and the vital importance of press freedom in defending democracy.
We’re independent of corporate interests. Will you help us?
IT’S BEEN A DEVASTATING year for journalism — the worst in modern U.S. history.
We have a president with utter contempt for truth aggressively using the government’s full powers to dismantle the free press. Corporate news outlets have cowered, becoming accessories in Trump’s project to create a post-truth America. Right-wing billionaires have pounced, buying up media organizations and rebuilding the information environment to their liking.
In this most perilous moment for democracy, The Intercept is fighting back. But to do so effectively, we need to grow.
That’s where you come in. Will you help us expand our reporting capacity in time to hit the ground running in 2026?
We’re independent of corporate interests. Will you help us?
I’M BEN MUESSIG, The Intercept’s editor-in-chief. It’s been a devastating year for journalism — the worst in modern U.S. history.
We have a president with utter contempt for truth aggressively using the government’s full powers to dismantle the free press. Corporate news outlets have cowered, becoming accessories in Trump’s project to create a post-truth America. Right-wing billionaires have pounced, buying up media organizations and rebuilding the information environment to their liking.
In this most perilous moment for democracy, The Intercept is fighting back. But to do so effectively, we need to grow.
That’s where you come in. Will you help us expand our reporting capacity in time to hit the ground running in 2026?
We’re independent of corporate interests. Will you help us?
Latest Stories
Ebola Outbreak Rages After Trump Gutted Global Health Safeguards
“The outbreaks of Ebola and hantavirus in the past two weeks show why international threats need an international response.”
Voices
Trump’s “Anti-Weaponization” Fund Is a Handout to His Hardcore Supporters
Putting January 6 rioters on the dole is a new kind of corruption — and it definitely won’t help the American working class.
Midterms 2026
Xavier Becerra Pushed to Inflate a Black Man’s IQ to Execute Him as California AG
Becerra, a front-runner for California governor, has a history of blocking police accountability measures and seeking to uphold the death penalty.